Donner und Blitz
Last night in at 4:45 am, I woke up to the sound of thunder gettin closer. It wasn't a surprise, since I knew the South had thunderstorms, and since Mike had seen flashes when we went to bed. But when it rolled in, it woke me up from a dream about which all I can remember is that it was pleasant.
I love thunderstorms, and I don't think they ever scared me. They make me feel very homey. I popped open the blinds and got comfy to watch with Mike, and we let Emmett in, who was not as pleased as we were. Long intricate flash patterns danced around the sky, followed by rumbling that rolled, far then close then far again. Short bursts of heavy rained pounded the tin roof. Magic.
Well, no one in town was all that energetic today I noticed. I started with a quiet ride on Jet, who I don't think bothered to wake up for any of it. Lines moved slowly in the stores, cars drove a little erratically, everyone just slowed down, which is just fine, especially on a Friday.
Growing up, I spent many summers at my Dad's country house in western France (Vendee is the region) where thrunderstorms are regular occurrences. His house is the tallest structure around, and someone in its past had the foresight to put a lightning rod on it (paratonerre in French), a very long vertical rod that shot up from the middle of its slate roof. Reputedly it had a super-sharp diamond at its tip. Whenever a thunderstorm would roll through, especially those dry electrical storms that follow hot muggy days, area farmers would go out of their way to greet us afterwards, and tell us how glad they were we had the lightning rod. They could always sleep safe in the knowledge that no trees or buildings of theirs would be struck. Of course, when the rod was hit, all our circuit breakers would break and cut our power, and sometimes it would burn out an appliance, all of which added to the drama of the moment. But that was still better than wanton destruction from stray lightning strikes. One of our trees did get hit once, I suppose it had the gall to grow too tall. When it was felled, the entire inside was hollow where the sap had vaporized, it was one long wooden tube.

1 Comments:
Someone surfed into my blog once that said her own opinion was that only one of every 55 people leave a comment.
I happen to think one of every oh... maybe 75 leave a comment.
Let me that person. :)
(PS: Wanted to comment on your California post... but saw it was November 30th. I'm a bit late. But yeah... I used to live in Riverside and Moreno Valley. LOL)
Post a Comment
<< Home