Friday, September 16, 2005

On the DOT

Now back in the Golden State, CalTrans is the butt of numerous jokes. Now that I have seen the NCDOT way of life though, I think CalTrans should be in line for some awards in the efficiency department. Two roads that Mike and I regularly frequent are undergoing "road work". One, which takes us to Mike's parents' in Fayetteville via Pittsboro, has had cones since loong before we arrived, and they are still there. The road widening project has been the subject of continual ire in local newspapers as businesses along the road go bankrupt from the continuing boondoggle. Every time we take the road, the pattern of lane reassignments has changed, and everyone is confused. Miles of road are funneled to single lanes for no apparent reason, other perhaps than to preserve the pristine asphalt. Another road, which leads to Duke, has been closed since February, with nary a worker in sight. Anyway, just so you know, apparently these are universal traits of first world transportation planning, and there is no El Dorado.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home