Anxieties of an Extended Springtime
Mike and I are avid gardeners. Back in California, that meant that Fall and Spring were somewhat anxious times, since in California those seasons are short-lived and require immediate action. With only two weeks to spare before the heat set in, we had to plan and start things ahead!
So now that we're in Carolina, we're having to adjust to the idea of not having to jump right at it and get plants in the ground. At least I am. If anything, cold nights are still frequent, and we've had more than a month now of alternating warm and cool spells. While I was gone to France, I had expressed to Mike my anxiety that nasturtium and chive seeds go in quickly, and the seedlings have now been standing there at the four-leaf stage for two weeks, making real sure it's okay to keep growing. At least daily, though, as I head out the door, I have a gasp of panic that it's 70 degrees, a sure portent of the 90-degree days next week, only to be surprised. Not to mention that it happily rains about every fifth day or so, every time to locals complain that it's getting a little hot a little thunder rolls through.

1 Comments:
We've had an unusually cool spring in Davis this year too, though. After a brief crazy hot spell in March, it's been cool with intermittent rain almost every week. The flowers are astounding. I keep expecting to get clobbered but every time it threatens to warm up, bam, more rain.
We've ben studying a map of Carrboro....
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home