Wednesday, July 26, 2006

It's what we don't know that we should know

Well, it's my third day of work. I'm a postdoc now and back in the lab, a curious experience, especially since I'm doing molecular biology, something I did 15 years ago while still in college. My muscles seem to remember repetitive motions from this prior life, and I find myself gloving up, setting up racks, in long bouts of deja vu. Good thing I got trained by the best (Scott Johnston, where are you these days??)
The lab I am in researches specialized aquaporins in the kidneys. Aquaporins regulate water transport into and out of cells. They were discovered by this lab in 1992, the same year my Human Physiology textbook was published. So over the weekend as I was reading up, I cracked open my old textbook to remember kidney structure, and there was of course no mention of aquaporins. In fact, though the text frequently mentions water balance (since it's the main job kidneys perform) it makes it sound as though the mechanism is clearly understood but not worth mentioning.
One of my favorite beliefs is that intelligence is not in answers but in questions. Its corrolary then is that we should know what we don't know. I wish someone brighter and more confident than me would write a book that delineates all that we don't know. Okay maybe an encyclopedia.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Pica said...

Wow. hard to imagine you gloving up, yet the image is oddly comforting.

Okay. I'm dying to know, and Julie reminded me: how's the separation thing going?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home