Snow!
I never saw snow until I was 18 and moved from Hong Kong, where I'd lived since birth, to go to California. Then, of course, it was a matter of driving to Tahoe to see it. I can easily say it was love at first sight. It also helped that having water-skiied a lot, snow skiing came quickly. Then, living in California 15 years, I got to see snow every winter, making the drive up at least once a season to ski.
Today is the first time in my life I've had it snow while trying to go about my workaday life, though. Twice already this winter, the National Weather Service has issued dire forecasts of snowfall only to disappoint with little to non-existent fluff. Yesterday the advisories were out again, but hey, heard about the kid who cried wolf? This morning it was clear, but by the time I went out, the snow was starting and now big flakes are falling. It was odd not to be wearing goggles and having it blow into my eyes, and so I got to try out sticking my tongue out to catch them, I understand why kids enjoy that now. Out the lab window, it's sticking to trees and covering the lawn. So I am going to try and make it up to the quad in a couple hours to snap some photos of Duke Chapel for Numenius...

3 Comments:
What fun! Here, we'd just settle for a little rain, it having been the dryest January on record...
Send some snow to Western Australia, pleeeease, 40C today (104 in the old scale?)
le reve de ta filleule...voir la neige!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home