Place and Identity
Today felt like a milestone in our settling down here. In a real sense, I took a step towards a Carolina identity today. I got my Carolina driver's license.
After a week of studying the state's driver handbook (and all I could think of was how to re-think it, it was a real mess) I took myself by both hands and went to the DMV. The DMV here is a vastly different experience from the hustle and ill-temper of its California relative. I was greeted almost right away by a gracious friendly person. There was almost no one waiting (and appointments are available a day ahead) and I was immediately walked towards an examiner whose job was to walk me through every step of the way, from the vision test (the LASIK stuck!) to the voter registration to the computerized test of driving knowledge. I had my card in hand, complete with its "watermarked" Wrights brothers flyer, in ten minutes! "You have yourself a nice day now, keep that smile, and happy Thanksgiving to y'all!"
Well, from this piece of identity comes subsequent possibilities: new dog tags for Emmett, new license plates for Emma, new insurance carriers. It's a step towards blending into the community, and this anonymity I seem to be seeking coexists with the strong core of identity I carry. From Davis. From Hong Kong. From Vietnam. From France. Same Nicole, different place? I'm not so sure. How many times do we re-invent ourselves in our lives, and is it always good for us?
Seeking some of the familiarity of home (home?) I joined the Newman Catholic community for their choir practice tonight. It was entirely different from the homey affair of 7pm choir at St James! Three choirs practice simultaneously, everyone seems to be able to sight-read, and there's Schubert on the list. Thank god they wrapped up with "We are going to see the King".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home