Thursday, June 09, 2005

Ugh

I usually avoid political material in my blog because I tend to easily fall into ranting behavior. If that happens here, please feel free to stop reading, but I just can't help myself.
On the night of May 25, at three different locations in Durham, cross-burnings took place. It's been decades since this kind of terrorist act has been seen in North Carolina, and the shock and confusion over how to respond is still spreading.
Well in yesterday's Herald-Sun, an article (in Section D!) announces that the national office of the Ku Klux Klan (which is apparently in Kentucky) has stated they had no role in the burnings (even though a Klan flyer was found at one site). They've even contributed $100 into the reward kitty (yuck) claiming that their $100 is much more meaningful than the $20,000 the governor put in since their funds are meager (thank heavens for small blessings). Never mind that they have never had the guts to take responsibility for criminal mayhem before.
The reason I bring up this article is because the very last paragraph, the most sanguine statement, was saved for the very end of the article, page D3: [Klan national director Thomas] Robb suggested minorities burned the crosses to generate sympathy for minority causes. "The white race is historically a people of law and order," he said in the release. "That is what our white brothers and sisters appreciate, not late night pranks that make them the targets of minority rage."
What?
Amazing how two sentences can be so jam-packed with nesting and intertwined fallacies and hatred disguised as genteel apologetics.
Where do you even start on a response?
I'm not going to rant. Just do this, check out the Klan website. It's chilling. And it's not a Southern problem, it's all over. Elsewhere in the article, Rachel Pendergraft, the Klan's membership coordinator, states "Our members are busy raising families, taking part in the business community and volunteering for community programs... Your child's teacher may be a member or perhaps your den's Girl Scout leader is a member." Exactly. Now I'm scared. Where's Homeland Security?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home