Ahh Spring
Okay, so the reason I've been AWOL from blogging is because, truth be told, we have been going to town in the garden. Three weeks ago, the holy trinity of blooms, dogwoods, wysteria and redbud, heralded the start of warm weather, and we have been setting all our energies to turning up soil and planting. And it is working wonders on the spirit.
Chloe bears it a short while on her blanket on the grass, but quickly tires and heads off for her naps, and these one-and-a half-hour breaks mean serious don't-talk-to-me periods of activity. We managed to have the yard fenced in, and then Mike has hand-dug a 20x20 plot for veggies while I built and prepped two raised beds for flowers and herbs. After some help from a rototiller, it's fun time now. I've cracked open the old trusted Sunset Garden Book and made my plant list, and I'm still scavenging for the parts. Anyone have Craspedia (drumstick plant) seeds or cuttings to share? It's become my holy grail the last two days. Though I'm also waiting for local nurseries to stock lisianthus, lavatera, sea holly, leonotis, German statice, and bay.
Another plant we've put in is a pair of clothesline posts, the old-fashioned T kind with five lines, and we're now proudly displaying everything to dry, especially Chloe's diapers. It's an exciting thing, drying clothes outside in the South. Yesterday, while on the phone with a friend who works in a glass tower high rise, a storm rolled in and darkened the entire sky in five mnutes. Thanks to him, I got the picture and brought in the wash just as drops started falling. In the warm humid air fell huge ice-cold drops, along with a sound and light show as we say in France.
Anyway, that's the snapshot of our current outdoor domestic life for today.

1 Comments:
Okay, I want to put in a couple of raised beds in front of the front door where that groundcover is... do you have any suggestions as to how to do this most easily? (Veggies here we come, finally...)
Post a Comment
<< Home