Friday, February 10, 2006

Sleeplessness

I've been mulling over any variety of topics to wander through for the last couple of weeks, and whenever I try it out in my head ,it always goes something like this. "Hmm, how odd that I now find myself so passionately rooting for the Tar Heels against Duke. When did my allegiance begin? I should write about the sources of allegiance. It would go something like, Tuesday night was the battle of the Blues, which pitted UNC versus Duke men's basketball, a fierce regional rivalry. I could talk about the game itself, how at first Duke ruled and then the gentlemen of Carolina pulled up and it was a very close finish. I could talk about the loveliness of the Tar Heel uniform. I could say how I think Rayshawn Webb would be a fine name for our next child. Bla bla bla. I'm so tired. Now, where was I?" Other topics, Mike's injury of his left hand, which oddly coincides with buddy Rob's surgery to left hand, and the two gimpy old men comparing notes. Or, the strangeness of driving by Duke University Hospital in the quiet of night and thinking of the women inside giving birth where I was 12 weeks ago. Anytime I develop a subject in my head, it leads nowhere but to the realization of how tired I am.
The 12-week mark is, for us, much tougher than the 3-week mark, even though Biscuit sleeps through the night most nights now. All past reserves of restedness are gone. When friends joked and sent us congratulatory cards about "Goodbye sleep" what they didn't encompass was all the seconday symptoms of sleeplessness, such as the inability to remember anything longer than 30 seconds, the headaches at wake up, the harshness of daylight, the glue that slows thinking, and of course, the seeming impossibility of finally putting a sentence, or a blog entry, to rest

1 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Pica said...

This is a good post, Nicole. More such please. If you can remember...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home