Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Whew

Sorry I didn't update my blog since my last dramatic post. I've been recovering from shell-shock little by little, and of course the other details of life still impose themselves whether you're up to it or not.
So Emmett is once again himself, except our interpretation of him is completely changed. The day before yesterday he asked to play ball and frisbee again. He gets tired a lot sooner, but that drive was so wonderful to see. But with the foreknowledge of cancer comes the desire for time to stand still, especially when he catches the frisbee and happiness abounds. We meet with the oncologist on Friday.
In our home village of Apremont in Vendee in France, we have a dear close family friend called Edith. That's Eh-DEET. I think she's also related to us somehow, as almost everyone in Apremont seems to be if you have the time to find out. I remember Edith used to always be in the company of a golden little poodle called Fifille, "little girl". She was every bit the poodle, anxious, funny, smart, hopelessly loyal to Edith. She died some years back, and I remember telling Edith, "oh how sad, oh how you must have cried." Edith was offended. She said "that would be an offense to our ancestors in the cemetery, if we went and cried over animals." A sound country attitude.
Well I don't know who I offended but I sure cried a lot, and Emmett made it. But almost losing him brought back lots of memories of grief from my dad and brother's passing. I need for someone not to die suddenly. Sudden death has its graces, but it sure has its weight. So I can really embrace the time Emmett has.
I'm trying to figure out another way of being. Someone else said that life is terminal, but it's exhausting having to always cherish every moment and every one as if the next minute may never come. Don't we have to take some security for granted? One day maybe I'll be still enough for the detachment that Buddhism leads you to, but that must be part of the answer.

5 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Pica said...

That's some major grappling you've got going on there, minette. I'm sure you offended nobody. Cherish. But also, just like Emmett, delight in the frisbees of life, one day, one day at a time. Bises.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to hear how Emmett is doing. I just got the diagnosis for my dog who is gravely ill with a very large splenic mass. Has
he recovered fully?

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Hopefully you come back and check this post. Thanks for asking! Well, six months out from the original surgery and three months out from his 6 sessions of chemo, Em is doing great. He had his lungs, kidneys and liver scanned two weeks ago and they found no nodules. He still seems fatigued somewhat, and his coat isn't quite as bright as before, but he's happy. Chemo on dogs is different from human chemo, and so the side effects are less, but still, during chemo he would get sick four days after each session, with vomit and diarrhea for 24 hours. For me, the costs (which were high) now appear to have been worth it. We'll find out this summer if he's one of the lucky 10% who don't get a recurrence. Good luck with your puppy!!!
-Nicole

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole
Thank you for your response. When I first heard what was wrong with my wheaten terrier (Sparky), it was comforting to know that there were others who had gone through this and done well. Nature gave you a better warning than me.
My expectations were done away with yesterday when I found that the cancer had progressed, spreading to his liver and the best option for him was to just enjoy what we had left. Surgery may give him another month or two but I will not do that to him, unless there was some hope for at least six months.
We are feeding him Mcdonald's bacon cheeseburgers and taking him for slow walks. We are going to let him let us know when he has had enough.
It's not easy to see my friend go. He was a super-fast frisbee and yellow ball catching super sociable friend to everyone he met.
I just treasure the time I have left with him and hope more awareness of this condition will
help other people recognize the symptoms earlier.
Best to you and Em. I think you're over the hump

Debbie

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Debbie, all the best to you and Sparky! I know how it feels, since after all we only have a 10% chance that the cancer is licked. Emmett gets a lot of pigs' ears and fresh meat, not to mention a pass on obedience. He knows he walks on water! I wish I always had this intensity about making the most of every moment, though it's hard to sustain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home