Nights of endless dawn
Okay, I'll delay the California trip log for a bit more about being home.
Our new house is located abutting a forest preserve called the Bolin Forest, and Bolin Creek runs down the hill from us not 100 yards away. Being at the end of our little spur road, we don't have neighbors to the North either, and a little feeder creek runs along the side of the house as a result. In front of the house, across the road, is a dammed pond. In front of the house is also an ornamental pond. We do live on Waterside Drive after all.
With all the water come frogs. On Sunday we went for a lazy Sunday afternoon hike along the creek, and part of it widens into a bit of a marsh. There, there were thousands of frogs in song at every pitch. If frog song bring Budweiser ads to mind, these are not those frogs, these ones chirp in high-pitched stanzas, somewhat like the frogs in Yolo County drainage ditches at some times of the year. Here the frogs sing all night almost year-round, on all but the coldest nights. They sound remarkable like birds chirping (sorry Pica, I know it's an untrained ear), even to a Frog (that's a pun).
So on nights when I wake up in the middle of the night, I hear the resident frogs who live by us and I still think of dawn, at times I go through this several times a night. You know it'll be a cold morning when it's quiet at night, and sure enough, yesterday, we had some snow flurries. I must be getting used to the critters because I missed their sound and it gave me a chill. Luckily, last night, they were back, and this morning the sky is its glorious Carolina blue again.

1 Comments:
California tree frogs sing all night too, but only at certain times of year (like now). Hope yours hang on till we get there, I want to hear them now!
Pica
Post a Comment
<< Home