Monday, September 25, 2006

Meeting cousins

Re: the comment on my last blog entry.
Hey this is the best part about genealogy! Meeting cousins! Thanks for your post, Anonymous! (I'm sure if I got to live a few hundred more years I'd figure out exactly how we're all related, but I already know we are, right? From the information I've been able to glean so far, it sure seems like everyone in the Toe River Valley is related to Mike's clan.)
YES there are Gouges in Mike's family. No Bennetts yet, but they live close to a Bennett's Ridge I think.
I would love a copy of early census data! Thanks! All these bits of information are always a bit of a trek to get, and it's neat to get original information, and look at side notes taken by census takers along the way.
Mike's brother who came by for Mike's birthday last weekend shared some more information. He had a copy of a deed from over the hill just here in Hillsborough, Orange County, NC, that seems to take the tree further back by one generation. Seems that on their way down from the colony of Virginia, Mike's ancestors resided right around here before going towards the mountains.
Here's the funny bit: it concerns an Ursula Holt, who was given a number of cooking pots and a bed from her mother by recorded deed ("les bons comptes font de bons amis") I suppose prior to marriage. At any rate, in later documents, her name seems to have been bastardized to Usley. Now imagine the accent that created that spelling. All that comes to my mind is that stilted speech they used in "Gone with the wind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home