Monday, October 09, 2006

Okay, so, hmmm

It's very difficult to blog about the little nothings of life with this giant elephant always in the room, this beast of sociopolitical hypocrisy that keeps growing and breathing down our collective necks. It's hard to blog about everything but. Rest easy, I shan't, I've been told I rant very easily and it's not pretty for others.
So instead, this...
On Sunday at 7:30 when we were all in bed still, trying to get a tiny bit of a sense of Sunday morning with an energetic 10-month-old ready to leap off the bed, had this random thought pop into my head.
Butterflies, they emerge from chrysales in which they have morphed from caterpillars. What happens in those cocoons is so amazing. I used to collect butterflies with my father, sometimes we would get cocoons from others in the world. Anyway, those caterpillars basically liquefy and re-organize completely, eyes are no longer eyes, digestive tract gone, a proboscis created, wings and all. We mere mammals, during differentiation at conception and after, our cells organize just once, and nerve skin digestive lung everything cells decide what they are and they stick with it. But here this animal, it goes through life as one animal, and then goes away, becomes liquid, solidifies again, and comes out an entirely different animal. How the heck does that happen? If we could figure it out, could it get us out of the whole stem cell situation?
Huh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home