French Defiance of Malthusian Theory
Potlucks are a really simple manifestation of Malthusian theory. Now bear in mind, Roger, that I am merely a lowly chemist, so I might be completely misunderstanding the theory, please just suspend your high-level yet non-doctoral analytical brain for a minute.
When people fix a dish for a potluck, they generally bring more food than they themselves could eat in one sitting, even counting the partner they might bring. Same goes for the wine, bread or snacks they bring along. Which means that potlucks should theoretically have way more food than the people present can consume as a group. And, at almost every potluck I've been to, that's exactly the case, ending with the social graces of fighting over the good leftovers or trying to parlay folks to take food with them. In 15 years of potluck participation, I have never seen a leftover-free potluck.
That is, until last Saturday, when I hosted the French Club here at home, and 27 francophones and their spouses came with all their gallic specialties under their arms. With a six-pound leg of lamb, eight different main and side courses, six different whole cheeses, five desserts and nine bottles of wine, there were NO leftovers. Not a morsel, but for the huge lamb bones Emmett has been working on.
Now either the French are chronically starved for the tastes of home or they simply defy the simple scientific laws of potlucks (and it wouldn't be the first time the French defy logic). At any rate, we had a grand time, finally making use of the proportions of this house and all the great LP's of Georges Brassens I got from Dad.
We're off to the beach today, so have a great weekend!

2 Comments:
Great post! It must have been wonderful. Hope you have an excellent, and restful, time at the beach. Hugs.
mmmm, j'ai faim!
Post a Comment
<< Home